The conflict in Syria, exacerbated by the terror and savagery of the Assad regime, demands that the leader of the free world acts responsibly. Here is our easy steps recommendations for President Obama to act as a leader without being one:
- Mr. President, hiding on a Golf course will not stop the world from asking: Where is America’s leadership. Easy steps Mr. President.
- Distractions such as picking winners and losers of a basketball tournament are what the American people will remember you for if you leave a trail of a mess in international affairs that will eventually catch-up with us domestically.
- When you issue an ultimatum, such as the one you issued against Assad of Syria if he uses WMD against civilians, you must carry through with your ultimatum. Not doing so invites more problems for America.
- You ignored Assad when it was easy to dismantle his regime by claiming it will cause havoc. Now that havoc has been caused mainly because you ignored Assad, it is time to realize your views and beliefs are the cause of more problems for the US, not less. Time to look in the mirror because what reflects today is not what will reflect upon you if you leave Office with more instability than when you entered The Office.
- Great Presidents are those who can balance the priority of US interests with conscionable action. On Syria, you need a different policy because US interests are not served when Assad, Iran, and Hezbollah win. Detachment and indifference slowly invite the realization that real leaders are neither indifferent nor detached.
- Transparency is key to building trust, but since your policy on Syria is so mystifying and so much shrouded in secrecy, eventually the truth will come out past 2016. Nip it today by coming clean. You know well, it is not about US boots or taxpayer’s money. No more exhausting spin that makes you look like sipping tea upside down.
- The American people are skeptical of political spin and immensely offended when lied to. We would be very careful about continued reliance on either, which has become a standard procedure for this White House.
- Do not let others write history for you because the list of your enemies is growing, not diminishing, which is a natural phenomenon to all those holding powerful Offices once they become lame. Remember, those supporting you today will simply vanish when you have no more control over invitations to White House cocktail parties and the Annual White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
- Stop blaming others because you are going to need them one day. Washington is not Chicago. This city grinds people when Chicago shelves them for recycling.
- Over the last four years, you relied completely on your charisma to steer legislation and policies. However, with a series of abhorrent scandals, the heavy lifting inherent in the responsibility of the Office must, going forward, take place by rolling your sleeves instead of partying like a high school pupil and pretending your smile will lead the good people of this nation.
- You have managed to offend the media and threaten reporters, which, once you leave Office, will pay you back in spades. Any better reason to follow the recommendations above to fix your legacy?
We must speak the truth if we want to be free. Don’t you think?